Policymakers Meet To Solve Addiction Crisis
The opiate addiction epidemic is affecting both Massachusetts and the nation as a whole.
In the Bay State, 60 percent of people admitted to detox programs are seeking treatment for heroin addiction. In Taunton, there have been more than 60 reported overdoses in 2014 alone.
Monday morning in Taunton, Sen. Ed Markey, White House drug czar Gil Kerlikowske and former Boston Celtics player Chris Herren met to discuss potential solutions for widespread addiction.
- “The White House drug control policy director is set to visit Taunton Monday to talk about reducing the amount of overdose fatalities caused by the heroin and opiate abuse epidemic that is taking place in the city and throughout the region.”
- “‘I think part of the romance, if that’s what you want to call it, of heroin is its very finality. It’s certainly more dramatic to die with a needle in the arm than to smoke a joint.'”
Other stories from this show:
- Listen: Weekdays, 3 p.m. on 90.9 FM
- Live Call-In: (800) 423-TALK
- Listener Voicemail: (617) 358-0607