One Woman Running 7 Marathons, On 7 Continents, In 7 Days
For most people, running one marathon is a huge challenge. But Becca Pizzi, who has run 45 marathons so far, is going after a bigger goal. She’s embarking on the World Marathon Challenge — running seven marathons on seven continents in seven consecutive days.
The Wall Street Journal: Packing For A Marathon Run Through Seven Continents In Seven Days
- “Next month, if all goes according to plan, Becca Pizzi will tear through 32,000 airline miles in about 70 hours and run 183 miles in a week.The 35-year-old, who lives near Boston, has spent all year training for the 2016 World Marathon Challenge: seven marathons on seven continents in seven days.”
- “‘The second I heard about it, I knew I was born to run this race,’’ Pizzi told The Associated Press. ‘I’m doing it to represent my country and to inspire the world that you can do anything you put your mind to.’ On Jan. 23, 2016, she’ll be in Union Glacier, Antarctica, to run the first of seven full marathons. Next up, on consecutive days: back-to-back marathons in Punta Arenas, Chile; Miami; Madrid; Marrakech, Morocco; Dubai, United Arab Emirates; and Sydney.”
- “With a 5K PR of 18:11 and a marathon best of 3:25, there’s no question Becca Pizzi can run fast. But her speed may not be her greatest strength. In 30 years of being a runner, Pizzi says she’s never had an injury.”
Other stories from this show:
Host Meghna Chakrabarti introduces us to newsmakers, big thinkers and artists and brings us stories of relevance to Bostonians here and around the region. Live every weekday at 3 p.m. and 10 p.m.
- Listen: Weekdays, 3 p.m. on 90.9 FM
- Live Call-In: (800) 423-TALK
- Listener Voicemail: (617) 358-0607