How Much Will Your Medical Procedure Cost?
Have you ever tried to figure out in advance how much a medical procedure will cost? Comparing prices could allow you to find the hospital or doctor that will give you the best deal and, in the process, help bring down the overall cost of medical care.
Here in Massachusetts, there’s a law designed to let you do just that. Since October, health insurers have been required to provide their members with estimates of how much certain medical procedures cost. The quote must include how much you would pay out of pocket based on your deductibles and co-payments. Starting next month, hospitals and doctors will also have to supply prices to patients.
- Barbara Anthony, state Undersecretary of Consumer Affairs
- Ronald Dunlap M.D., President of Massachusetts Medical Society
- Martha Bebinger, Healthcare Correspondent , WBUR
Other stories from this show:
WBUR's Sacha Pfeiffer is co-hosting Radio Boston while Meghna Chakrabarti is on maternity leave.
- Listen: Weekdays, 3 p.m. on 90.9 FM
- Live Call-In: (800) 423-TALK
- Listener Voicemail: (617) 358-0607