Weekend Picks: Boston’s Holiday Music Traditions, Old And New
Graham Wright, host and founder of Opus Affair (a monthly arts salon), joins us to share his recommendations for various incarnations of some beloved holiday performances.
Weekend Pick #1: Handel’s “Messiah”
The Boston Baroque’s two performances of Handel’s “Messiah” are Friday, December 7 and Saturday, December 8, both at 7:30 p.m and at New England Conservatory’s Jordan Hall. Tickets range from $25 to $64 and are nearly sold out, but remaining tickets are available at Jordan Hall.
Weekend Pick #2: 3 Variations Of “The Nutcracker”
The Mayor’s Holiday Special offers a consolidated listing of many holiday events around the region, including the following variations on well-known Christmas classic, “The Nutcracker”:
- The Jose Mateo Ballet Theatre’s performance runs through December 16. Performances are held at two locations: The Sanctuary Theatre in Cambridge and The Strand Theatre in Dorchester, and tickets range from $38 to $50.
- The Walnut Hill School For The Arts’ student performance is Friday, December 6 at 7:00 p.m. at Keiter Center for the Performing Arts Tickets. Tickets range from $18 to $25.
- The Urban Nutcracker opens Saturday, December 8 and runs until Friday, December 21 at John Hancock Hall. Tickets range from $20 to $120.
Weekend Pick #3: Lessons And Carols
The 39th Annual Service of Lessons and Carols at Boston University’s Marsh Chapel is Friday, December 7 at 6:00 p.m. Another service will be held on Sunday, December 16 at 11:00 a.m. (The above video is from the 2011 service.)
- Listen: Weekdays, 3 p.m. on 90.9 FM
- Live Call-In: (800) 423-TALK
- Listener Voicemail: (617) 358-0607