Mass. To Offer Illegal Immigrants In-State Tuition
The question of whether illegal immigrants should be allowed to pay in-state tuition to the state’s public colleges and universities has been a controversial one in Massachusetts.
On Monday, Gov. Deval Patrick settled the question by executive order, directing state colleges and universities to give young illegal immigrants the opportunity to pay the much more affordable tuition rate.
The governor estimated that his new order will apply to some 300 Bay State students.
- Paul Reville, Mass. Secretary of Education
- Mass. To Offer In-State Tuition To Illegal Immigrants
- Deportations Of Law-Abiding, Younger Illegal Immigrants To Stop
In July of 2011, Gov. Patrick attended a hearing at the State House to testify in support of a bill that would have extended the lower tuition rates to illegal immigrants. Despite the governor’s support, the bill failed to pass.
- Listen: Weekdays, 3 p.m. on 90.9 FM
- Live Call-In: (800) 423-TALK
- Listener Voicemail: (617) 358-0607