How The Future Fell Short: Facebook Instead Of Mars Colonies?
Humans on Mars, a cure for cancer, the end of hunger were all worthy dreams of the 20th and now the 21st century. But many of those dreams failed to materialize.
The November/December issue of MIT Technology Review tackles the disconnect between what we envisioned and what we ended up with — “You promised me Mars colonies. Instead, I got Facebook,” they say. The writers argue that, in the last 50 years, entrepreneurs, technologists, investors, the government have all lost the zeal necessary to solve the really big challenges.
Deputy editor Brian Bergstein joins Radio Boston to talk about the Tech Review’s impassioned critique of what he calls 21st century technology’s love affair with quick money and small pursuits.
- Curt Nickisch, WBUR’s business and technology reporter
- Brian Bergstein, deputy editor of MIT Technology Review
Other stories from this show:
- Listen: Weekdays, 3 p.m. on 90.9 FM
- Live Call-In: (800) 423-TALK
- Listener Voicemail: (617) 358-0607