CommonHealth: A Gradual, Excruciating Descent Into Domestic Violence
Domestic violence is not a comfortable topic to discuss, and just like the abuse associated with it, it’s a topic that people prefer to address behind closed doors.
But its tentacles are long, pervasive and very subtle. One in four women are likely to experience domestic violence in their lifetimes — and boys who witness domestic violence are twice as likely to abuse their own partners and children when they become adults. Then there is the cost to society: health care costs associated with domestic violence are estimated to exceed $5.8 billion annually.
- Annie Brewster, internal medicine physician and a guest contributor to WBUR’s CommonHealth blog.
- Karin, volunteer at a domestic violence organization
- Listen: Weekdays, 3 p.m. on 90.9 FM
- Live Call-In: (800) 423-TALK
- Listener Voicemail: (617) 358-0607