New England Generosity: Not Enough?
Red states are more generous than blue states. That’s one of the headlines out of a recent report from the Chronicle of Philanthropy. The study ranked states, counties, even zip codes by how residents give to charities and found the New England region at the bottom of the list.
The Chronicle of Philanthropy says that tax breaks, politics, faith and even the make up of our neighborhoods contributes to giving patterns across the country, but some commentators are calling residents of our region just plain stingy.
So what’s behind these numbers? How do Massachusetts residents give to the causes they care about?
- Stacy Palmer, editor of The Chronicle of Philanthropy
- Full Report: How America Gives
- Geography and Giving: The Culture of Philanthropy in New England and the Nation from the Center on Wealth and Philanthropy at Boston College
Other stories from this show:
- Listen: Weekdays, 3 p.m. on 90.9 FM
- Live Call-In: (800) 423-TALK
- Listener Voicemail: (617) 358-0607