State Budget Cuts Wide And Deep
State budget negotiators waiting for a federal stimulus bailout may be waiting for Godot; as such, lawmakers are poised to pass a budget Thursday with dramatic cuts to local aid, social services and just about everything else.
Controversial crackdown provisions on illegal immigration have been curtailed, but the budget does eliminate a $56 million program that provides health care for low-income legal immigrants. We get the latest from the State House and ask if and when help might arrive from Washington.
- Noah Bierman, State House reporter, Boston Globe
- Noah Berger, president, Massachusetts Budget and Policy Center
Host Meghna Chakrabarti introduces us to newsmakers, big thinkers and artists and brings us stories of relevance to Bostonians here and around the region. Live every weekday at 3 p.m. and 10 p.m.
- Listen: Weekdays, 3 p.m. on 90.9 FM
- Live Call-In: (800) 423-TALK
- Listener Voicemail: (617) 358-0607