State Budget Cuts Wide And Deep
State budget negotiators waiting for a federal stimulus bailout may be waiting for Godot; as such, lawmakers are poised to pass a budget Thursday with dramatic cuts to local aid, social services and just about everything else.
Controversial crackdown provisions on illegal immigration have been curtailed, but the budget does eliminate a $56 million program that provides health care for low-income legal immigrants. We get the latest from the State House and ask if and when help might arrive from Washington.
- Noah Bierman, State House reporter, Boston Globe
- Noah Berger, president, Massachusetts Budget and Policy Center
- Listen: Weekdays, 3 p.m. on 90.9 FM
- Live Call-In: (800) 423-TALK
- Listener Voicemail: (617) 358-0607